School library media specialists, classroom teachers, technology coordinators, special needs professionals, and administrators are just a few of the instructional specialists that facilitate the learning of student information scientists.
It's the role of the instructional specialist to create an atmosphere that nurtures inquiry.
Read The Culture of Inquiry in School Libraries (PDF) by Carol A. Gordon in School Libraries Worldwide (January 2010, Volume 16, Number 1, 73-88.
Skim the topics covered in the January 2010 issue of School Libraries Worldwide focuses on Inquiry-based Learning for 21st Century Teaching. Think about the instructional specialist roles of educators.
View The Role of the Teacher-Librarian and the School Library Program by Mike Eisenberg. In Vodcast #4 of his series, Mike Eisenberg answers questions that he has collected from students and colleagues around the country on various Information Literacy topics.
Click on the topics below to explore strategies and techniques used by skills instructional specialists.
- Learning Leader
- Curriculum Developer
- Collaboration for Inquiry
- Classroom Teacher-Media Specialist Collaborative Planning
- Anchored Instruction
- Authentic Learning and Assessment
- Cognitive Apprenticeship
- Cooperative Learning
- Differentiated Instruction
- Evidence-based Programs and Practices
- Habits of Mind
- Literature Circles
- Project and Problem-based Learning
- Situated Learning
- Sustained Silent Reading
- Understanding by Design
- Audience Analysis
- Concept Map
- Figurative Language
- Idea Strategies
- Information Search Strategies
- Nonfiction Reading
- Oral History
- Primary Sources
- Student Products
- Time on Task
- Teaching and Learning Essentials
- Modeling Inquiry with Early Nonfiction
- Problem Identifiers
- Student Conferences
- Mentoring Roles
- Guides to Facilitating Information Use
- Planning for Inquiry
- Creating Teaching and Learning Materials
- Lesson Plan
- Collaborative Planning
- Learning Environment Management
- Adapting Existing Materials
- Teaching and Learning Materials on the Web
- Tutorials and Resources for Teaching